The holidays are supposed to be a time of joy, but for those already managing depression, the season can exacerbate symptoms.
Whether you’re stressed about you finances or your holiday plans, it is critical to care for your overall health and wellness during this potentially overwhelming time.
A few symptoms of holiday depression include headaches, excessive drinking, overeating, decreased interest in activities once found enjoyable and insomnia or excessive sleeping.
10 Tips to Avoid Holiday Depression:
- Make realistic expectations. Don’t commit to more than you feel comfortable managing.
- Avoid family conflict. Tensions are high for many families. Lean on your support system to manage challenging relationships.
- Prioritize commitments and responsibilities.
- Learn to grieve. The holidays can make the feelings of losing a loved one feel fresh and raw. Find healthy ways to process the grief and emotion to cope with the loss.
- Get plenty of rest.
- Include regular activity in your routine.
- Maintain a healthy diet and avoid binge eating and drinking.
- If you’re alone, spend time volunteering.
- Consider your light exposure. Even a few minutes of daylight each day can make a profound impact on your mood.
- Seek professional help. When the symptoms are more than you can manage on you own, seek assistance from an experienced mental health treatment provider like Oceans Behavioral Hospital.
The Oceans team of psychiatrists, medical physicians and caregivers can support patients and families this season.
Oceans is passionate about helping individuals experiencing depression, anxiety and other mental health issues. Utilizing proven, innovative and progressive therapies, Oceans’ qualified professionals strive to promote long-term wellness through a range of inpatient and outpatient psychiatric counseling and treatment options.
If you or someone you know you may need treatment for seasonal depression, contact us today.